Process Engineer - Injection
Albany Engineered Composites | Rochester, NH
The Employer has temporarily removed this posting
This position is responsible for developing, implementing, reviewing, and improving the production process for the fabrication of advanced 3D carbon fiber composite flight-critical aircraft components. The process engineer is responsible for designing, verifying, validating, and troubleshooting the processes while executing AEC's New Product Introduction (NPI) process and configuration management requirements. The successful candidate is a creative problem solver who is able to effectively collaborate with other engineering disciplines and stakeholders (Quality, Operations, Program Management, etc.).
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following values: Safety, Fact Based, Accountable, Respectful, Persistence and Ethical. Put Safety first at all times, never compromise on safety for the obtainment of other objectives. Responsible for health and safety of themselves and coworkers.
Design & Development
Develop textile and composite manufacturing processes, such as carbon fiber weaving, preform fabrication and forming, preform winding, and resin transfer injection molding (RTM)
Take moderately complex, bounded or open ended, problems from the business, develop scope options, and effectively communicate best option for stakeholder review and approval
Develop, write and maintain manufacturing process & equipment procedures, technical specifications, and user work instructions.
Identify Key Product and Process Characteristics (KPC's); manage, control, and ensure compliance of them throughout product value chain
Establish engineering labor and material standards for manufacturing operations and monitor performance to the standards in order to address any variations.
Perform feasibility & trade studies, cost analysis, and return on investment (ROI) and cost-to-benefit evaluations.
- Support achievement of project scope, schedule, and budget
Organize, prepare for, and/or conduct technical design reviews to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Perform failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA, pFMEA, dDFMEA) to establish and maintain stable processes.
- Establish and verify new product/process capabilities and new process parameters prior to release to production.
Perform capability and variability studies on new and existing process, equipment, and tools.
Provide technical support and clear communications to all users of the process.
Monitor and evaluate quality data and develop methods to improve quality levels.
Troubleshoot manufacturing processes, techniques and quality issues and develop corrective actions to maintain productivity and quality acceptance level.
Create and maintain value stream map (VSM)
Collaborate with engineering, quality, manufacturing, operations, and internal and external supply chain personnel to diagnose issues and support continuous improvements.
- Drive continuous improvements in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
- Support root cause corrective action activities using structured practices such as DMAIC, 8D, Apollo, etc.
Perform other duties as assigned, inclusive of data entry and product/process configuration data & documentation maintenance.
Education / Professional Certification:
Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree
Lean / Six Sigma Certification and application of Lean / Six Sigma Body of Knowledge is a plus
Experience & Specialized Knowledge:
3-5 years directly related experience (aerospace, or composite industry preferred)
1-3 years experience working with a formal stage-gate process (e.g. New Product Introduction)
Experience taking designs from concept through production, release and subsequent support.
Experience working Aerospace composite manufacturing experience (i.e. 2D laminates, RTM, VARTM, autoclave processing, fiber, fiber preforms, etc.).
Basic knowledge of relevant design and manufacturing standards (CHM-17, ASTM, ISO, SAE, etc.)
Working knowledge of GD&T, dimensional stack-up analysis, and Gage R&R
Familiarity with PLM tools (Windchill is a plus) and MRP/planning methodologies (SAP is preferred).
Background in QFD and/or Design for Six Sigma is a plus.
Rapid generation of design concepts, without letting perfection get in the way of meaningful progress
Proficient in the use of 3D CAD software (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Unigraphics, Catia...) and generation of 2D drawings.
- Strong organizational, communication and time management.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft software (MSWord, PowerPoint, Excel, Project)
- Proficient with creation and application of process capability (Cp, Cpk) and statistical process control (SPC) tools
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills at the system level
- Optimizing process designs for manufacturability, reliability, and cost efficiency (DFx) is a plus.
Must demonstrate the eagerness and ability to learn and must work well in a cross-functional team environment.
Work independently or as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Work with minimal supervision, to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgement
- Provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing
- Adapt and remain flexible to changing business conditions/needs. Must be able to quickly adjust to shifting priorities.
Work on multiple projects in parallel without losing focus on key milestones and objectives.
- Solve problems and a willingness to make decisions.
React to challenges with a can-do attitude.
Duties performed indoors in a production environment with adequate lighting and comfortable temperatures; Occasional exposure to moderate noise and machinery with mechanical fast moving parts.
Primarily 1st shift with expected casual over-time
Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Domestic or International Travel, ~5-10%
Must be able to lift objects up to 40 lbs.
- Frequently move about the production floor and office area to attend meetings or trainings or perform Gemba walks.
- May require sitting or standing for extended periods of time