Medical Technologist: Full-Time Days
Huggins Hospital | Wolfeboro, NH
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor in conjunction with the Manager of Laboratory Services, is responsible for performing a variety of routine and complex analysis on clinical samples to obtain data for use in the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of disease.
This is a full-time first shift position.
Education: Associates degree or Bachelors degree (preferred) in Medical Laboratory Science.
Experience: One year in a generalist position preferred
Licensure: MLT(ASCP), MT(ASCP) or MLS(ASCP) preferred or equivalent meeting state and federal regulatory requirements
- Performs venipuncture and capillary collections utilizing age appropriate technique in accordance with regulations and Laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs specimen collection and provides age appropriate patient instructions for optimal collection and sample quality.
- Ensures proper sample labeling and performs appropriate sample processing based on requested tests including sample quality assessment, centrifugation, separation and proper storage as needed.
- Performs Reference Laboratory procedures for clinical and anatomical samples including sample receiving, processing, ordering and sending out samples utilizing manual, interfaced and online mechanisms to the Reference Laboratory.
- Reviews/places electronic orders for laboratory testing ensuring completeness and medical necessity utilizing ABNs if necessary.
- Achieves and maintains documented clinical competency as required by CLIA regulations and Laboratory policy for all in-house testing systems.
- Performs all complexity of testing in accordance with Laboratory policies and procedures. Demonstrates organizational skills to effectively and efficiently manage the laboratory workload with or without supervision.
- Utilizes Laboratory instrumentation in accordance with the manufacturer’s and Laboratory’s policies and procedures. Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled maintenance as needed.
- Analyzes and reviews quality control in accordance with Laboratory policy prior to releasing patient results to ensure accurate results. Investigates/troubleshoots/ resolves/ documents any instrument/assay/quality control issues.
- Participates in new instrument/assay/method validation. Participates in training and orientation of new employees and students.
- Reviews and releases patient results in the LIS within established turn around times, adhering to any applicable repeat analysis policies.
- Complies with all notification policies for critical and STAT results, documenting the notification in the LIS.
- Manages instrument and interim worksheets appropriately.
- Performs preparation, distribution, storage and retrieval of Laboratory reports.
- Performs Reference Laboratory result/report processing.
- Performs technical supply inventory and maintains appropriate supply levels to ensure continuity of service
- Participates in the Laboratory Quality Control (QC), Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) policies and projects.
- Participates in the Laboratory proficiency testing program to demonstrate competency, ensure quality and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Author, revise, review and submit for approval Laboratory procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and/or participating in professional societies.