Medical Assistant: Internal Medicine
Huggins Hospital | Wolfeboro, NH
This is a full-time position working in Internal Medicine Associate's of Wolfeboro.
Clinical Support Functions
- Prepares the examination room with needed supplies, instruments, and equipment and maintains room in a clean manner.
- Greets patients in a professional, friendly manner, escorting them to exam rooms.
- Prepares/instructs/positions and drapes the patient.
- Ensures the provider is on schedule being mindful of emergencies and unexpected interruptions
- Prepares specimens and documentation for processing or transportation to processing facility.
- Cares, cleans, and sterilizes equipment per instruction or established procedures.
- Orders medical supplies and medication/immunizations as needed, and keeps exam rooms and bathrooms stocked.
- Keeps drug closets clean and organized while ensuring that all medications are current and disposing of expired medications or sample medications per pharmacy procedures.
- Disposes of used supplies properly and follows all established infection control and biohazard policies and procedures.
- Calls orders to pharmacies for medications under the direction and supervision of the provider.
- Completes and processes HMO referrals, pre-certifications or pre-approvals as needed.
Clinical Direct Functions
- Documents patient's chief complaint, medical history and completes pertinent forms
- Performs phlebotomy and venipuncture.
- Performs EKGs, PFTs, rapid strep, pregnancy tests and other tests that may be ordered by the provider.
- Assists in minor procedures such as pap smear, suturing, dressing changes, catheterizations and casting. Practices aseptic and sterile techniques as needed.
- Prepares and administers medications as directed by a provider and in accordance with license.
- Provide the patient with educational materials as requested by the provider. Instruct patients about medications diet and exercise.
EMR Utilization Functions
- Utilizes the current Electronic Health Record to complete the documented Best Practice Workflows accurately.
- Documents and updates the patient's medical history within the EMR guidelines, including: vital signs, past medical history, social history, surgical history, family medical history
- Completes the daily work list (order tracking, tasking, document import) providing timely care and response to the patients
- Compliance in all regulatory item collection.
Patient Access Functions
- Accepts and returns patient calls under the supervision of the nurse or provider, using appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Schedules appointments and completes orders for patients for appointments, procedures, tests, and/or consultations with other providers as requested by the provider