Manager Sterile Processing
Huggins Hospital | Wolfeboro, NH
The Employer has temporarily removed this postingUnder the general supervision of the Director Surgical Services, is responsible for management of Sterile Processing departmental operations providing patient care equipment and surgical instrumentation reprocessing functions including; collection, decontamination, assembly, sterilization, high-level disinfection and distribution. Manages the surgical instrument inventory and supplies supporting departmental activities. Serves as subject matter expert and resource for product reprocessing needs. Responsible for departmental regulatory compliance using AAMI, AORN and IAHCSMM Standards. Develops and ensures compliance with departmental budget. Manages departmental staff and fixed departmental equipment and plant property. Works collaboratively with other departments and units to ensure efficient, safe and effective instrument and equipment availability. Models excellence in customer service, ensuring the highest standards for both internal and external constituent satisfaction.
A. Sterile Processing Technical Expertise
1. Supervises SPD technicians and manages the Sterile Processing Department to achieve established operational performance and quality goals. Demonstrates ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a, "hands-on", "leadership by example", manner adjusting to issues as needed in a dynamic work environment. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and effectively anticipate and respond to issues as they arise.
2. Organizes, directs and controls the daily functions of the departments in such a manner as to provide a high level of service to all user areas and at the same time minimize the risk of cross contamination or infection.
3. Responsible for; the decontamination, assembly, high level disinfection, sterilization, prep, pack and distribution and inventory of sterile products, documentation of sterilization; and sterile storage including remediation of equipment failures and hazards of the surgical instruments, equipment and supplies needed for daily surgical procedures. Plans ahead to maintain readiness for upcoming booked cases and plans for emergent surgical case needs.
4. Ensures optimal sterile processing performance; through quality control and quality assurance of all Sterile Processing activities and equipment. Monitors and reports equipment operational status. Recommends equipment changes, upgrades and additions to meet manufacturer's instructions for use (IFU) for all items processed.
B. Operational Standards & Regulatory Compliance
1. Assures departmental standards of operation and policies are in compliance with regulatory and professional agencies, including but not limited to CMS, AAMI, AORN, APIC. Annually reviews policies, adds or updates policies as needed.
2. Monitors and maintains appropriate records to remain compliant with requirements of applicable regulatory agencies; monitors and maintains Instructions For Use (IFUs) for all surgical equipment and instrumentation in the surgical arena.
3. In collaboration with Facilities Maintenance Department, establishes a preventive maintenance program for Sterile Processing equipment. Maintains adequate inventory of equipment to meet Medical Center requirements.
4. Ensures that all equipment, i.e Steam Sterilizers, Sterrad Instrument Washers and Sonic Cleaners are being maintained to manufacturer's specifications. These records will be maintained by the Sterile Processing department. Effectively anticipate and respond to equipment issues as they arise.
5. Schedules staff and work to ensure cases have instruments and equipment when needed. Monitors and adheres to labor and expense budgets. Maintains reports in appropriate cycles for department performance and staff attendance. surgical arena
C. Financial Stewardship & Quality Improvement
1. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of systems: Instrument Tracking, Case Cart, Patient Charging, Materials Management and Budget, as they relate to the SPD department.
2. Collaborates on department budget and capital equipment needs with the Director of Surgical Services and the Finance Department. Responsible for maintaining fiscally responsible practices and meets budget expectations.
3. Follows established industry best practice and hospital infection control practices and procedures.
4. Effectively acts as a liaison between Central Service and other departments to provide technical advice and consultation regarding processing, sterilizing or linen handling procedures in order to minimize the risk of infection.
5. Leads SPD quality improvement and LEAN initiatives to optimize departmental flow and efficiencies. Participates in organizational quality improvement
D. Sterile Processing Team Development
1. Facilitates the recruitment and selection of central sterile processing staff. Provides staff with ongoing feedback and documents appropriately including performance evaluations.
2. Develops a comprehensive departmental orientation for new staff
3. Develops a comprehensive departmental orientation for new staff. Routinely coordinates training and competency validation for all
4. Ensures staff work is performed within prescribed technical and safety standards. Provides or coordinates instructions and in-service on new products, procedures and equipment to identify and prevent resource loss and maintains patient and staff safety.
5. Ensures staff attend technical and mandatory training/education.