Director of Surgical Services
Huggins Hospital | Wolfeboro, NH
- Oversees Surgical Services staff and program
- Reviews and evaluates AORN, ASPAN and AAMI standards, recommended practices, guidelines and research.
- Determines how this data is applicable to the Surgical setting.
- Implements appropriate changes to reflect recommended practices; develops and implements unit policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of the services offered by the unit.
- Directs the development of short and long range unit objectives.
- Collaboration / Negotiation / Conflict Resolution:
- Collaborates with physicians and the Pre-, Peri-, and Post-operative staff to meet the needs of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of conflict resolution techniques.
- Prepares for and facilitates staff meetings and group process to promote effective communication.
- Maintains equipment inventory in working order.
- Knowledgeable and current with CMS Survey Regulations. Ensures staff and unit will be survey ready.
- Maintains up to date policies and procedures reflecting current nursing practices. Policies and procedures will be reviewed at least annually.
- Participates in the process of hiring, disciplining and terminating staff in conjunction with nursing management and human resource personnel.
- Demonstrates awareness of organization's culture and its implications in relation to Surgical Services and staff. Participates in and promotes Customer Service initiatives.
- Maintains effective communication with staff through rounds, staff meetings, e-mail and memos to decrease conflict and promote team work.
- Monitors staff assignments, patient care and patient response to treatment via observation and chart re Monitors QI program, staff educational needs, scheduling, and coordinates meetings.