Clinical Research Nurse (RN)
Exeter Hospital | Exeter, NH
The Clinical Research Nurse in collaboration with the physician, is responsible for the implementation and conduct of clinical trials with investigational anti-cancer agents in the Cancer Center. The Clinical Research nurse has expert knowledge of cancer as a disease process, cancer treatment modalities, and the process of conducting clinical research. Screens patients for eligibility, coordinates patient care while patient is on trial, and assures that clinical trial programs meet all federal and regulatory standards.
- 2-4 years experience in research
- BSN required
- RN license - NH or other Compact State
1. Collaborates with attending physicians to identify and recruit patients eligible for clinical trials. Collaborates with Cancer Center nursing staff to provide nursing care to patients receiving therapy on a clinical research trial . Assures that nursing staff understands how to administer investigational agents per protocol specifications by inservicing
2. Assists PI in the process of assuring adequate informed consent. Responsible for coordinating study enrollment, protocol treatment and follow-up care for patients participating in clinical trials.
3. Assures that blood sampling and specimen preparation is obtained per protocol specifications and monitors test results.
4. Documents all aspects of study and therapy in the patients electronic medical record and any other database required. In collaboration with nursing and medical staff, assess' patients for complications related to therapy. Communicates observations/findings to attending MD, study and in the medical record.
5. Ensures that drug dosing and sample collections times are followed and recorded on study worksheet.
6. Provides inservice training and serves as a resource to other clinical personnel including physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacists and other allied health professionals. Provides patient teaching about research in general. Educates patient about specific clinical trial and treatment that patient will be receiving, HIPAA regulations and any other information related to clinical trails.
7. Communicates with referring and affiliated physicians to ensure documentation of clinical findings throughout the clinical trial.
8. Establishes and maintains database of prospective/current patients on clinical trials. Establishes mechanisms to ensure complete and accurate data collection and documentation. Prepares and participates in clinical trial audits and reviews.
9. Oversees scheduling of patient laboratory and radiologic assessments, admissions and clinic visits.
10. Attends tumor board, multidisciplinary clinics and participates in quarterly Cancer Committee. Attends IRB meeting every other month. Prepares and submits clinical trial information and presents to IRB with PI. Gives required updates and summary.